BAM Strong, Brooklyn Academy of Music
- Brooklyn, NY
- Brooklyn Academy of Music
- LEED Silver
- 2022 AIA New York State Design Awards, Award of Merit
- 2021 USITT Architecture Awards, Merit Award
- 2021 American Architecture Award, The Chicago Athenaeum
- 2021 AIA Tri-State Design Awards Merit Award
- 2021 Design Award of Excellence, SARA New York
- 2021 Retrofit Magazine Metamorphosis Awards, 1st Place, Whole Building Category
- 2020 ENR New York Awards, Cultural/Worship Best Project
- 2020 SARA National Design Award of Honor
The BAM Strong project transforms three adjacent properties on Fulton Street in Downtown Brooklyn into a lively cultural destination for audiences, artists, and neighbors. Redevelopment of the Harvey Theater and new construction and renovation of the two adjacent properties provides state-of-the-art infrastructure, theater technology and improvements to the patron experience.
The complete BAM Strong renovation facilities increased engagement with the surrounding community and Downtown Brooklyn Cultural District and creates an interior aesthetic that lives comfortably with the distressed appearance of its historic legacy. Renovations to the public spaces and new patron amenities include an expanded lobby and customer services, patrons lounge, art gallery, cafe and retail space. The entire complex has also been made ADA compliant with a new elevator reaching all four floors. An artful restoration of the original aging facade and a distinctive 180 ft. long marquee unifies the three properties and gives the theater a visible presence consistent with its importance to the cultural life of the district.